I AM GOING ON A HEALTH BINGE!
It’s summer time. You want to look good. You want to feel good—especially after that hangover from the time you tried to drink all day without passing out. So how are you supposed to relax with an adult beverage on the beach, porch, or patio? By choosing one of the nine healthiest drinks you can pour up.
Ingredients: lager, limes, Worcestershire sauce, Valentina hot sauce, black pepper, sea salt, ice
This is, perhaps, the tastiest hangover cure out there. It’s good any time, really. Like a spicy, salty twist on beer, the refreshing michelada also has a nice little cornucopia of healthy stuff in it.
- Beer: while not strictly healthy in mass quantities, beer is made from cereals (barley, rice, and other grains) that can fill a daily carb quota. Plus, beer got its start as an energy food, and there are plenty of light lagers that come in at well under 100 calories. Corona Light will do (but it really works best with Tecate or Modelo Especial).
- Lime juice has a ton of vitamin C in it, which boosts immune support and neutralizes free radicals that damage skin cells and tissues.
- Mexican Valentina hot sauce is made from hot chili peppers. So are the alternates—Cholula, Tapatio, or even Tabasco or Buffalo, and as a last resort, Texas Pete or Red Devil. Studies have proven that chilis have can reduce appetite and increase metabolism, helping you eat less and burn what you do eat faster. Studies have also shown that capsaicin (the oil that makes peppers spicy) may help in fighting prostate cancer. Chilis are also used in many countries as a digestive aid.
- Sea salt helps you replenish electrolytes.
- Worcestershire sauce is a healthy cocktail already. It has vitamin B6 foods—molasses, garlic, cloves and chili pepper extract—which help build red blood cells and maintain nervous system function. It’s also full of antioxidants, vitamin C, the hard-to-get vitamin K (which protects against hemorrhaging and bone loss), and niacin, which aids in digestion.